Image by Adeolu Eletu




Business Visitor and Paid Engagement UK Immigration Visa’s allow applicants to work in the UK to carry out specific engagements for which they may receive payment.
In order to qualify for Business Visitors and Paid Permitted Engagement UK Immigration Visa you / your employee will have to prove that: 

  • they are only here for the term of the contract and intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit.

  • they have or will be earning sufficient funds for their visit.

  • their work engagement throughout the period of their stay falls within the permitted activities, as defined in the Immigration Rules at the time of application.

  • they only intend to undertake the work detailed within their application whilst within the UK.

Business Visitors
You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK for business-related activities, for example:

  • you’re coming to the UK for a conference, meeting or training.

  • you want to take part in a specific sports-related event.

  • you’re an artist, entertainer or musician and coming to the UK to perform.

  • are an academic and are doing research or accompanying students on a study abroad programme.

  • you’re a doctor or dentist and are coming to the UK to take a clinical attachment or observer post.

  • you want to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).

  • you want to get funding to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK.

Paid Permitted Engagement
You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month if you are invited by a UK-based organisation or client to:


  • be a student examiner or assessor.

  • take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you’re invited by an education, arts or research organisation.

  • give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role.

  • examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you’re invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

  • provide advocacy in a particular area of law.

  • take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting.

  • take part in fashion modelling assignments.


All permitted, paid engagements must be arranged in advance and the engagement must be relevant to the applicant’s area of expertise and occupation overseas and should be evidenced by a formal letter of invitation.

As Business visitor you can also do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attend meetings. 
You cannot:


  • do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa.

  • extend this visa or switch to another visa.

  • live in the UK for extended periods.

  • get public funds.

  • study for more than 30 days - studying cannot be the main reason for your visit.

  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership.

  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately.

Period and conditions of stay in the UK

Your prospective employee will be able to visit the UK for a duration of up to 6 months as a Business Visitor and 1 month on a paid permitted engagement visa. There is no option to extend this visa from within the UK.
Qualification guidelines are quite strict and when applying for a business visitor and UK Immigration Visa your employees must demonstrate that:


  • they do not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits when using this route to work within the UK,

  • that they do not make the UK their main home. 

Please be aware that the UK Immigration office may refuse their application if they believe that this to be the case.
The line between what is considered “work” and what is a business visit can be quite blurry. We can help you navigate this grey area to ensure that you or your employees are not only applying for the correct visa but also to ensure that the correct supporting documents are being submitted. 
Get in Touch and let us take the stress out of obtaining a Business Visitor and Paid Engagement Visa.

Regulation Number: F202000133

Clearview Immigration (UK)
New Market House,

Market Street, 

Newbury, Berkshire,

RG14 5DP

Tel: 01635 282682

Connect online:

  • LinkedIn

© 2020 by Newbury Website Design