Image by Jonas Morgner



There are a number of different types of UK Immigration General Visitor Visa’s. These include, the general visitor visa, the Business Visitor Visit Visa and Paid Permitted Engagement visa. This route allows a person from applicants from visa national countries outside the EEA to visit the UK for up to six months.

To apply for a General Visitor UK Immigration Visa, you must:


  • show that you will leave the UK at the end of your visit.

  • prove that you are able to support yourself and any dependents during your trip.

  • prove that you are able to pay for any costs relating to the trip, as well as the onward journey.

  • And if you are working provide proof of any business or other activities you will be doing in the UK.

On a General Visitor UK Immigration Visa, you are able to:


  • Take a holiday in the UK.

  • Visit family or friends.

  • Visit the UK for Business.

  • Take part in sports or creative events.

  • Receive private medical treatment.

  • Study for up to 30 days (this must not be the main reason for your visit).

You are not allowed to:

  • do paid or unpaid work.

  • marry, register a civil partnership or give notice of marriage or a civil partnership.

You can stay in the UK for up to six months. You can also apply to extend your visa, as long as the total time you spend in the UK is not more than 6 months.
It is also possible to apply for long-term visit UK Immigration Visas if you travel to the UK regularly. These visas are valid for 2, 5 or 10 years. However, please note that you are only allowed to stay a maximum of 6 months during any given year.

Business Visitors


You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK for business-related activities, for example:


  • you’re coming to the UK for a conference, meeting or training

  • you want to take part in a specific sports-related event

  • you’re an artist, entertainer or musician and coming to the UK to perform

  • are an academic and are doing research or accompanying students on a study abroad programme

  • you’re a doctor or dentist and are coming to the UK to take a clinical attachment or observer post

  • you want to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)

  • you want to get funding to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK

Paid Permitted Engagement
You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month if you are invited by a UK-based organisation or client to:

  • be a student examiner or assessor

  • take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you’re invited by an education, arts or research organisation

  • give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role

  • examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you’re invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority

  • provide advocacy in a particular area of law

  • take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting

  • take part in fashion modelling assignments

You can also do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attend meetings but you cannot;


  • do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa

  • extend this visa or switch to another visa

  • live in the UK for extended periods

  • get public funds

  • study for more than 30 days - studying cannot be the main reason for your visit

  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership

  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately

If you are coming to the UK as a business visitor or under the PPE route contact us to assess your eligibility.

Get in Touch and let us take the stress out of obtaining a General Visitor UK Immigration Visa. 

Regulation Number: F202000133

Clearview Immigration (UK)
New Market House,

Market Street, 

Newbury, Berkshire,

RG14 5DP

Tel: 01635 282682

Connect online:

  • LinkedIn

© 2020 Clearview Immigration LLP